Wednesday, November 22, 2017

The Weekly Pickles


I've finished the last six of the twenty-five Pickles required so I can move forward to the next steps. 

Instead of a weekly Pickle block I might have to blog about a weekly Tobacco Leaf block or a weekly Sunflower block.  Keeping a weekly goal for myself has really helped keep this quilt from becoming a UFO. 




I'm working toward this Pickle Dish quilt. It's not normally what you think of when you think of a Pickle Dish quilt. It's from Kathy Doughty's book Making Quilts.   As you may or may not notice the Pickles are trimmed with 1/4 inch bias tape and then appliqued to the background.  The next step is making the bias tape. I've never done that before but have reviewed several tutorials and am thinking...just thinking...of buying a bias tape maker. First I'm going to try making some without it. 

After looking at several fabrics ( well, actually just two) I have on hand that might yield enough bias I've decided on this orangey-brown.  I think it blends well enough with most of the blocks and with the background fabric. 

14 comments:

Lisa Boyer said...

Those are fascinating blocks...and the quilt is so unusual! So great to see something really different, even in this time when there are so many patterns available. I just love your pickles/sunflowers/sea creature/whatever you want to call them. Gorgeous!

Julierose said...

love them all-but the fabrics in the last one make my heart sing ;))) hugs, Julierose

Just Another Quilter said...

Love this quilt. FYI....Kathy Doughty is coming to the new guild I joined over in St. Charles, IL. I think she comes at the end of March. I plan on being there.

Amy said...

It's funny, I have this book, but haven't previously noticed this quilt in it. I have enjoyed seeing your weekly pickles, so maybe it's time to go root the book out and see what I've got in the stash...

Ann said...

I never noticed that quilt either. What fun for you. I have a couple of biastape makers but have trouble at the seams.

Linda said...

You have really worked hard with the Pickle dishes. Good luck with the bias tape.

Julie said...

I love all the colour in your pickle blocks, Look forward to seeing your bias and the finished result. Thanks for linking to Sew, Stitch, SNap, SHARE.

Mayleen said...

I'm going to have to keep reading your blog because this pickle dish quilt is one of my UFO's. Its been setting on the shelf for I don't know how long. Thanks for the inspiration to get going on it again!

Ellen said...

You are going to have another gorgeous quilt!

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

Loving your weekly pickles! Great colours, and that orange is perfect to go with them too. Good luck making the bias, it'll be an effective trim.

gayle said...

Pickles with orange! Persimmon pickles! Perfect persimmon pickles!
I'm really really really looking forward to this quilt!

Janie said...

Pickle dishes and tobacco leaves very fun.
My grandmother collected carnival glass and had some beautiful
pickle dishes. My grandfather smoked occasionally and rolled his own
so this brings back memories of them.
Great work Cathy.

Kaja said...

I am still very drawn to these and there are three in this batch with fabric combinations I would like to use for a whole quilt.

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

Before the flood I had Kaffe Fasset’s book with the pickle dish. I love them. It was on my To Do list. Alas, I lost all my quilt books. I had just weeks before bought a bedside bookcase....and we had 3 feet of water.