Thursday, August 17, 2017

Spools and Churns: Calicoes Meet Thirties Reproductions


Churns and Spools
68 x 86

It's a top!!!! 
(And when it is finished I can mark two UFOs off the list). 

I combined two swaps - a really old six inch calico spools/muslin swap from a loooooooong time ago and a 30s repro/solid chunky churn dash swap from 2015.   I only had to make a few more blocks of each in order to have a large twin sized quilt, thank goodness. 

I actually participated in four chunky churn dash swaps of different themes with the intention of challenging myself to set them all differently.   I finished the patriotic themed one (alternate blocks were orphan patriotic themed Snowballs and Twinklers) and sent it as a Quilt of Valor to my brother-in-law, Bert. 

 And, hey!!!!...LOOK...I actually added a border!   In case you don't know...most of my quilts are borderless  because I prefer to make lots of blocks and can never think of what to add as a border anyway.   I like the border but this was a border with lots of little waste triangles left over that I now feel I need to deal with.  (Note to self: if you ever add a "rick rack" border again make sure you have an even number of blocks per side so they meet up properly in all corners.  You don't want to have to deal with figuring out what to do with those two odd corners ever again.)



And now for some reason I feel like I need to make a red and yellow quilt (or make catsup, salsa and/or spaghetti sauce). 


16 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

VERY cool quilt top - congratulations on the finish!!! (and being able to count it as a two-fer)

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I really like that border that you added

Quilting Babcia said...

Perfect border for this colorful top.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is Very Very Cool!! I love all the colors in it!!

---"Love" said...

I like---blocks, border and all. ---"Love"

Julierose said...

Yummy quilt and salsa components...I like your zig-zags, but I know what you mean about those durn corners...hugs, Julierose

Ann said...

Ha. I noticed the border immediately. Such a good job. I know evens would have worked out more elegantly but you're in good company with all our foremothers who just let it lie. Congratulations on another great quilt and all the veggies in your garden. I only have mint and chives.

audrey said...

And what a nice border! hehe It looks great. Very Gwen Marston-like in letting your corners do their own thing. I'm admiring your spool blocks. Thinking about making my own now....

Linda said...

What a great quilt. Love your idea to combine two different blocks. The border looks good, not sure how you created that rick rack design.

Sally Trude said...

What a wonderful quilt. The spools as a secondary block is quite effective.

margaret said...

what a super quilt and blocks made by so many quilters, border works so well I tend to just add strips if I do a border yours works so well really worth the extra time it took to put together

gayle said...

I wouldn't have thought to combine those two blocks - what a great idea and a great quilt! And a happy border, too!
And oh, my - you've got some really good salsa in your future, don't you?

Janie said...

Cheerful blocks and colors, the borders are the icing on the cake!
Nice harvest, fresh salsa or spaghetti sauce or tomato sandwiches all sound delicious.
Enjoy!

Monica said...

What a great combination of blocks! And I love all the cheerful fabrics (and I have a few of those, too).

Cathy said...

Gorgeous quilt top! I love the blocks and the secondary pattern they make!

Nancy said...

Bright, cheerful, energetic! I like how you used two different blocks -- these particular two blocks - for this quilt. Congrats on a great finish.