Friday, August 25, 2017

Challenges


Four six inch blocks of another quilt in the making.  Three are completed. 

It all started with sorting scraps for the neutral "color"  for this month's Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I ended up with two piles of larger scraps - neutrals and low volumes.  I was pondering what to do with them and a comment from an old friend on my Peacock quilt led me to an email conversation where she mentioned she was working on a new crazy quilt challenge hosted by Sharon Boggon of Pintangle - a 2020 Crazy Quilt (finish by end of 2020 and use 2020 unique items). 

I haven't done any crazy quilting for awhile and my stash of threads, laces, books, trims, etc are in disarray so what better way to get more organized as I go and use some stash.  Plus you know my quilts usually span a few years so I have until 2020 to finish up this challenge which I hope will result in a neutral and very unique large quilt.   I don't make art quilts...my quilts are for comfort and this will be no exception.  

I am going to make improv circle blocks from neutral scraps and embellish them.  The low volume scraps will get a separate quilt. 

And now for the count of items: 

Block 1 (upper left) -
Fabric: 4
Lace and trims: 1
Threads: Coats and Clarks hand quilting thread 80,10, DMC embroidery 782, DMC perle #8 738, DMC embroidery 451, Sullivans embroidery 45179 (like DMC 738), variegated brown? = 6
Stitches: feather/lazy daisy leaves, herringbone/french knot, straight, french knot =4
Embroidery motifs: 2 (sayings, basket of apples)
Total = 17

Block 2 (lower right)
Fabric: 0
Lace and trims: 1
Threads: gray embroidery 3024, DMC embroidery 400, Sullivan's ??? = 3
Stitches: feather/quarter buttonhole wheels/straight = 1
Embroidery motifs: 1
Total =6
Grand total = 23

Block 3 (lower left)
Fabric: 0
Lace and trims: 1 (butterfly twill tape)
Threads: perle Irish variegated 5063, thread arts ??, perle 5 dk brown, perle #5 951=4
Stitches: buttonhole, chain arches/lazy daisy flowers, stem/lazy daisy leaves, french knot flowers = 3
Embroidery motifs: 0
Total = 8
Grand total = 31

I'm starting off slow with the stitches because I'm a little rusty but I think I'll be doing bullions and cast on stitches and ribbon roses in no time!  I also want to try some different techniques - cut lace embroidery, reverse applique, Irish crochet, beaded crochet trims, etc...

Another challenge that spurred me on to this point was the Ad Hoc Improv Challenge of adding words to quilts.   I have three UFOs that are waiting for me to piece some words (prepping, tea towel challenge, bird brains) but I didn't feel like working on any of those this month.  (I also have a couple of crazy quilt UFOs -crazy farm, valentine bed runner, glow in dark fairy garden- but didn't feel like working on those either). But I will be embroidering lots of words on this quilt starting with an Irish proverb I embroidered on block 1: 
Say but little and say it well. 

Thank you all for the best wishes for a speedy recovery yesterday. This is day 11 of herniated disc/sciatica and I'm feeling better every day..I just can't sit or sleep for very long.  But I'm alive and know there will eventually be an end to the pain and  I've found out there's a lot of things you can do standing! 

12 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

Omigosh - what a VERY cool idea. I have a drawer full of vintage laces that are languishing and neglected. I need to go and check out her challenge. (I took an online course with her several years ago which resulted in my 2007 journal quilts - very person and so full of bits and bobs from my foremothers' sewing baskets). THANK YOU for posting this!

gayle said...

Oh, my! You always have the most interesting projects going on! Good luck on reaching both those 2020 goals!
And glad to hear the pain is backing off. Hoping pain-free is in your near future!

Ann said...

Great idea. I passed it to my sister since she love embellishment, too. I've made similar circle blocks but no hand work on them. These are quite lovely; the neutrals create such a fabulous background for you embellishments.
Still hoping for all the pain to pass.
Thanks for linking a delightful post with AHIQ.

Linda said...

Another delightful quilting progress. Well done in organising your stash in order to start such a big project. So glad you feel an improvement each day. Looking forward to seeing the new blocks as they are made.

Nann said...

What an ambitious project! I think I'll be an admiring follower. :)

Julierose said...

So glad to hear you are feeling better....love your arc-CQ-ing...this will be lovely hugs, Julierose

Louise said...

Oh, these are pretty!

Hang in there! I'm hoping for better health soon soon soon for you. Sounds like you're seeing some improvement, and that's really good.

margaret said...

wow you are doing Sharon`s challenge I am a big fan of her work and her book is fantastic, also have her crazy patchwork stencils best of luck with the challenge

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

This is such a great idea! I have lots of beads and ribbons I need to use. Like I need another project. Very tempting though - I have until 2020 to finish! Hope you continue to feel better and better each day and are promptly completely healed.

Janie said...

That is so beautiful, I love what you've done.
Sharon is a treasure of embroidery inspiration!
I'm glad to hear you're on the mend, it does take time.
I've had back issues too and had to do the physical therapy stuff.
Thanks for sharing.

Kaja said...

Ouch! I'm sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with your back, but hope you are still improving. This is a great idea, and the blocks you've done so far are looking cool. I especially like the idea of using low volume/neutral fabrics to set off all your stitching and embellishment.

Wendy said...

I absolutely love that you are making improve blocks and not traditional crazy blocks! I will be filing this idea away for a future crazy project as well. Your first blocks are looking wonderful and I am looking forward to seeing this progress of the time we have for this project. So glad you took up the challenge.