Two more donation quilts finished.
I didn't make the tops but I finished both of them.
Carol and Beth of the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild organized a recent retreat in Omaha. I was unable to attend but the ladies were expecting to complete 100 quilt tops at retreat made from blocks made all year long called "Omaha blocks" which are ten inch blocks that consist of a 7.5 inch center bordered on two sides with 3.5 inch strips and 3.5 inch square. They exceeded expectations and ended up with 184 quilt tops! You can read more about it at Carol's blog, Giraffe Dreams. Actually a couple of us sewed along at home so there are a few more than 184 quilt tops.
All of the finished quilts will go to the two groups Sunshine Online Quilt Guild sponsor - Quilts Beyond Borders and Wrap-A-Smile.
Okay...so I volunteered to quilt five of them. That's when the retreat ladies only thought they would hit 100 quilts. So...surprise...I received 8 quilts to finish. Plus I made an Omaha Block quilt sewing along at home so that makes 9 quilts to finish. Plus I had a donation quilt waiting in the wings that needs quilting. And that's okay...I need practice free motion quilting on my DSM.
Sorry for the blurry photos. It was starting to rain and I was in a rush to get a photo finish!
Anyway...this is the orange one. I mentioned I use these to practice FMQ on my DSM (because I'm not very good at it) and have been trying new things on each of these quilts. On this one I did these loopy things going across the rows. I found I did okay when the block row was all 3 inches...
...but when it came to quilting the 6 inch rows I had a difficult time going across that distance consistently. The harp on my machine is small plus my hands don't seem to flow freely across that distance. So if I use this in the future I will try smaller loop de loops.
I found a stripe fabric with some orange in it for the backing and added orange binding.
On the red, black, white one with the elephant I tried quilting some balloon bunches...
...because I used balloon fabric on the back.
My July OMG (One Monthly Goal) was to finish at least one more of these Omaha Block quilts so I can mark that goal off the list. ( OMG at Elm Street Quilts)