Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Inspired


Now that I've finished my four inch hourglass quilt inspired by an antique quilt (MoROSE Garden) and I have the Type A lady locked out of the sewing room I made another hourglass block half the size (two inches finished) of the MoROSE Garden hourglasses. 


And now I have two twelve inch blocks. 

I made the other one last year after Kathy (Kathy's Quilts) posted about an antique hourglass quilt made by Clarissa White Alford that she saw at the Shelburne Museum.  Clarissa's quilt really spoke to me.  I just love antique quilts.  (And hey... coincidentally I have some White maternal ancestors - ggg grandfather Nathaniel White and gg grandmother Rachel White Smith. No relation to Clarissa, I'm sure. ) 

 Kathy started making blocks for her "Clarissa Quilt" last year and I made that one on the right but decided I had to hone my hourglass skills a little before I proceeded on.  Only forty more to go!  I'll probably make mine similar to Clarissa's (and Kathy's).  

12 comments:

gayle said...

I'm also in love with that quilt, and Kathy's blocks. I'll enjoy watching you make yours, too! (Not starting this quilt. Not starting this quilt. Not starting this quilt...)

Julierose said...

I've been drooling over Kathy's blocks for a while now--I also keep saying that I'm NOT gonna start ANOTHER quilt--but I keep looking at it and sighing...and now there are your beauties to add to that pull I feel--you know, that one that says--just give it up you will do this...hugs Julierose

Janie said...

Brilliant idea! Locking the 'type A' lady out of the sewing room. How about out of my life!
I have to agree your hourglass blocks are gorgeous.
Antique quilts are treasures of ideas aren't they. I'm going to have a look
at that quilt thanks for the tip.

Linda said...

Those hour glass blocks are amazing. Such tiny pieces!

Ann said...

Charming soft colors. They look so cool during these hot summer days.

Monica said...

Only 40 more! Well, you`re off to a great start. :D

Audrey said...

This is making me want to do another hourglass quilt! It's been so long.😊

margaret said...

there is something very appealing about the hour glass block yours look so good and will make a great quilt once the other blocks are completed

Quilter Kathy said...

Yippee! So happy you are making Clarissa blocks!!

Kaja said...

I like that quilt a lot too. Your blocks have definitely got that old-fashioned, slightly faded feel to them.

Karen said...

Your Clarissa quilt is very pretty. I have been admiring Cathy's blocks since she began the project. Followed ehr link to see yours.

Vivian said...

ROTFL!! I was looking through back issues of Quilters Newsletter today and came across an ad in a 1996 issue for the Shelbourne Museum book that had come out at the time and featured Clarissa's quilt. Of course I was intrigued (and ordered the book) but had to look around to see if anyone had made one. I was not at all surprised to find that Kathy had and now I find that the second link I opened on the subject is yours!! Considering that both of you inspire me daily with your projects, I guess I just better succumb and put this one on the "To Do" list too!!