My daughter likes to shop at garage sales, antique shops, thrift stores, church rummage sales, etc. She doesn't sew but picks up some thrifty items for me sometimes. I think this quart sized bag of stuff has been sitting around here for awhile so I decided it was time to empty it out.
It was full of 3 inch squares of floral fabrics.
With the neutral pieces I made 3 Sixteen Patch blocks and a Four Patch to add to...
...some of the other neutral blocks that will someday make it into a quilt along with some of the laces and trims taking up space around here.
Then I made a donation quilt.
40 x 60
I started out making four patch blocks and was undecided what to do with them after that. So they sat around for awhile.
I didn't have enough four patches for a quilt but I did have some larger blue scrap pieces I decided I could use for the "sky" in my flower garden. A few blue pieces even had birds in the sky. At first I was going to use the blue pieces as sashing between the four patches but I really don't like to sew sashing. I find it really, really, really boring and would rather make more blocks than add sashing to a quilt. So I just used some big pieces of blue.
I pieced together some batting (again) and then went to quilting it on my DSM. In the big blue pieces I quilted a five petaled flower. The rest of the four patches had three petaled flowers.
I thought this piece of blue was a little dark so I brightened it up a bit with variegated thread and some three petaled flowers.
I used variegated thread in the leaves I quilted in the skinny border on the other side of the quilt too. I forgot to take a pic of the back of the quilt but it was an old piece of floral fabric I had in my stash. And you've seen what I used as binding before...it was the backing on a quilt and binding on another. And it's almost gone now.
This is another quilt that will be donated probably to Wrap-A-Smile or Quilts Beyond Borders. It will probably cost more to ship the quilts than it took to make all of the quilts I'll put in the box.
But that wasn't all that was in that $2.00 bag...
I cut the remaining 3 inch blocks into postage stamps (1.5 squares) because I'm several postage stamps shy of a couple of quilts.