Monday, February 20, 2017

Three Donation Tops Ready to Go !




Quilts Beyond Borders is collecting quilt tops and quilts now for their Camp Heartland initiative. 



 #1 - 48 x 60


I had 12 HST blocks already made.  (I have made these blocks over the years when I had 4.5 inch scraps or HSTs leftover from a Rainbow Scrap Challenge Project).   I didn't have to make any more HSTs to make 8 additional blocks since I had enough HSTs in the parts department.  

#2 - 50 x 60
I made 10 inch Happy Blocks in blue. 
I used 6.5 inch crumb blocks I already had made, a few orphan blocks, and some odd size of some odd novelty fabric squares collected from various swaps over the years for centers.  For the border fabric I used some blue bits and pieces from the blue chunk bin (pieces less than FQ). 


I used 6.5 inch crumb blocks I already had made, a few orphan blocks, and some odd size of some odd novelty fabric squares collected from various swaps over the years for centers.  For the border fabric I used some blue bits and pieces from the blue chunk bin (pieces less than FQ). 


I like Happy Blocks because they are quick, easy, use lots of scraps and end up looking pretty Happy. 

#3 - 48 x 60
 This is a UFO that has been taking up space in my sewing room for ages. Time to move it out. 
It was a mystery quilt I probably made more than 10 years ago.  


I've never been too crazy about it to begin with plus it ended up being a size I don't really find very useful.  I normally make donation quilts for kids 40 x 60 and for adults usually 60 x 80 and this top was a little wider than 40 inches.   QBB requested a few larger quilts for their Camp Heartland Initiative so this quilt top has found a need. 

At this point I guess I'll mention the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild in case you want to join us.

We make quilts for kids around the world. We donate to two programs: Wrap a Smile and Quilts Beyond Borders. Quilts go to kids, teens, and adults undergoing cleft palate surgery and to under-served children, often in orphanages, worldwide.

Please join us if you enjoy making quilts for children in need.



10 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

such nice quilts I will check out your group

Linda said...

Another three lovely scrap quilts. You have such fabulous ideas for making quilts from scraps. I am collecting them in a notebook for future reference!

Louise said...

These are great! Are you donating them as tops? If so, who does the quilting? Such a great charity. I donated some pillowcases to the same group recently.

Anonymous said...

Love those bright tops. I have a pile of bonus triangles sewn into HSTs waiting to be pressed and trimmed. Not all the same size, though. Someday . . .

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Beautiful!! I love that half square one!! I may have to add that to my bucket list!

Kat said...

Lovely quilts, I especially like the HSTs one! Thanks for linking to Sew Some Love :)

The Joyful Quilter said...

Happy quilting!! SEW sweet of you to contribute THREE quilts. I absolutely LOVE that HST quilt (being the super scrap lover that I am!!)

Janie said...

Great quilts, you're doing it right!

Ann said...

Beautiful quilts for great causes. Congratulations, Cathy.

Kaja said...

Wow! Three more! Lovely scrappy quilts for a great cause.