48 x 60
This will go into an emergency/survival car kit for one of my kid's for Christmas. I'm making a kit for each of my adult children to keep in their rickety old cars. (You can find lots of suggestions on-line on what to include in the kits.)
I've made quilts in the past with the Jacob's Ladder block. I love all the secondary patterns. Sometimes you can see X, sometimes diamonds, sometimes stars.
I started making these blocks a long time ago to use up some of the HSTs and 4 patches I had in the "parts department". I picked out ones that had animals and some jungle type foliage or were just plain ugly. Dogs, monkeys, elephants, flamingos, rhinos, cats, ants, giraffes, fox...they are all there in the Wild Kingdom.
Unfortunately, after I assembled about 6 blocks I decided I hated them. Why? Because the values were all over the place. I guess that shows me the value of value when making a quilt.
But I decided no sense in keeping it a UFO and was going to make a donation quilt. Then I came up with the idea to make the emergency/survival car kits for Christmas (for my adult children who are never prepared and don't even wear a proper winter coat on the coldest of winter days) and thought if a quilt was going to be hidden away in a rickety old car might as well include the ugly ones in the kits.
I used an old flannel sheet (aka stray thread magnet) for the backing and quilted it on my DSM with some diagonal lines using brown thread in the bobbin and neutral thread on top. I had more than enough black binding in the leftover bindings box (strange since I don't remember binding anything in black) to complete the quilt.