72 x 84
We are probably going to trade in our ancient pop-up camper that sleeps 5 and has no toilet with a brand new one that sleeps 9 and has a toilet. Since I will retire next year we will be able to take the grandkids camping in style and more often. Anyway, I decided I needed a couple more light weight quilts for the new camper. So there it will go.
These six inch crackers started out as a swap. Then last year I used my 2.5 inch scraps and made a few each month as part of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. When I was ready to assemble I couldn't decide on a layout right away so just decided to see what they looked like sewn together into groups of four of the same color. After I had enough four unit blocks I just randomly sewed them all together because I don't have a design wall and didn't really want to muss and fuss a lot with them anyway. I kind of like random.
Since they looked a lot like flowers in a garden I machine quilted on my DSM with some really, really free motion flowers in each section - no marking and sometimes there were some shaky hands. Before I did that, though, I did some straight line quilting 1/4 inch on each side of the 12 inch blocks (of four crackers) with my walking foot.
I just used wide muslin for the backing and some really lightweight batting since it's a summer quilt.
I used two color catchers in the washer but it looks like there might be a little bleeding from some reds. Or since it's so lightweight it might just be the red peeking through from the front. Either way, it really doesn't bother me. It's going in the new camper. It serves the same purpose whether or not the bleeding is there or not.
I used more scrappy binding. I think my leftover binding box is getting pretty low now and I'll probably have to start cutting bindings again. On scrap quilts I like the scrappy binding.
Broke my sewing machine again while quilting this- bobbin stop broke off. So while Jane Janome is out I'll be going back to Kenny Kenmore. For now I'm off to grandson's birthday party.