The scraps were piling up so high on the desk where I have my sewing machine so that I could hardly see my little old Janome. And there was certainly no room to do any machine quilting. So, it was time to sort and use some scraps. I didn't want to throw them in a box. I have too many of those scrap boxes right now.
So, first up...I sorted out some short string scraps. Then I used the pile of 5 inch b/w "charms" I swapped ages and ages ago and used them as the centers of my blocks with strings all around for some 9.5 inch blocks...because that's the size of one of my rulers I used to square them up. More to come...I just sewed some up until I was tired of them. They are kind of like the Happy Block quilts I've made in the past (central square, 2.5 inch sides). I guess they are Happy Wonkies or Wonky Happies. I probably have enough for a lap quilt.
I used only bright string scraps and put the neutral ones in another pile for a different project I haven't gotten to yet. (String hearts, maybe?)
I swapped some patriotic chunky churn dashes several months ago and still had some patriotic and red/white/blue 2.5 inch strips on my desk so I cut them further into 2.5 squares, cut some white/cream 1.5 inch pieces and made a few Twinklers...an alternate six inch block to go with those patriotic chunky churn dashes. I want to make at least three Quilts of Valor in 2016 for a couple of bros-in-laws and a nephew. This will be one of them.
Some blue tone on tone scraps were cut into 2.5 inch pieces and some waste triangles used for some little 4 inch butterfly blocks. When I cut off waste triangles I just eyeball the 1/4 inch seam allowance so sometimes the wings are uneven.
Some 2.5 inch scraps went toward four patches. I have a box of different four inch units/blocks that will make several donation quilts of some type or other in 2016.
And speaking of waste triangles...I have a bunch of them left over from that butterfly garden quilt top I made a few months ago. There's a lot of them. I haven't sewn them all together yet but...
...I think I see a quilt using these in my future. Again, when I cut off the waste triangles I just eyeballed the seam allowances so these waste triangles do not measure all the same size and I'm not going to square them up. I might leave some as HSTs, make some into pinwheels and/or broken dishes blocks. I might add some fairies and more butterflies and mushrooms and other insects and fantasy creatures. MIGHT, I say. MIGHT. We shall see what comes of this.
When I have scraps...I improvise. Sometimes I improve my skills. Two improvs.
And speaking of improv...why not check out some other improv quilters this month.
Ad Hoc Improv Quilting with: