Saturday, November 1, 2014

Sue and Little Monkeys


I've been making Sunbonnet Sue blocks in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge colors of the month for the past year.   Pattern is from Q is for Quilter.  Each block is made from 1.5 inch squares. 


With the light blue block for November I now have 12 blocks and am ready to put together the top. 
I have added a WOW scrappy border around each block and then a scrappy postage stamp border in the color Sunbonnet Sue in the block. Each block then measures 13x14.

I'm not sure then if I will add another white postage stamp border between blocks or not. 


I have a while to decide. I need to go through my scraps to cut postage stamps for the borders. 

I think I will hand quilt plus add some embroidery to the sunbonnets and dresses. 

When finished I think this will go into the hope chest for the first great granddaughter.  It may be in the hope chest awhile. My oldest granddaughter just turned 10 yesterday. 


I've also been working on a Little Monkey Wrench quilt. I've been using the RSC color of the month scraps to make HSTs for each block that measures 5 inches.  I needed 15 more blocks for a total of 288 blocks in order to start putting this top together.  I won't be using any sashings.  And it will be set on point.  Should be big and fun. 

Got Scraps? 



12 comments:

Suzy said...

Those Sue's are so fun! It's unbelievable how tiny each of those squares are.

Nell's Quilts said...

You are patient indeed to be working with those tiny postage stamps to create an entire quilt. Lovely Sunbonnet Sues. They look so cute all lined up with their bouquets. The Monkey Wrench quilt will be quite spectacular set on point. Well done.

Linda M @ Pieceful Kingdom said...

Those have turned out great! It will make a wonderful quilt.

scraphappy said...

12 finished girl blocks! Congratulations! What a great quilt it will make. Great progress on the monkeys too. Almost there. What a great scrap using year.

Andee said...

Love the bright Monkey Wrench blocks! Your girls are cute too!

Katie Z. said...

What a treasure you are creating!

Julierose said...

Your Suzie Q's are so adorable. I had thought to make a block, but am still cracking the whip on my UFO's...hugs, Julierose

Deb A said...

Little Susie Q is so cute! I love how you have put the colors around each one. It is going to make such a lovely quilt.

Sally Trude said...

I love those zig zag socks. And I assume she's wearing the latest Nikes.

Martha said...

How fun to see a quilter actually make this cute sunbonnet pattern, and your blocks are amazing. It's going to be such a fabulous quilt. I can hardly believe you're making this for a future great grandchild -- I am just hoping for a grandchild!

Sheila said...

I love all your colorful, fun blocks! They are going to make some wonderful quilts.

Kathy S. said...

The scraps you are using for your monkey wrench blocks are just so much fun. I really like the borders around your kite girl blocks. I think I'm going to use HST. Keep up the scrap busting!