Sunday, December 15, 2013

I Think I Need to Settle Down for a Long Winter's Nap

This weekend the  granddaughters finished up the hand sewing on the little pillows they made for their moms and dads. They both just turned 9 and this is their first sewing project.  They actually made the pillows this summer but never wanted to take the time to sew them shut. But, with Christmas approaching they decided they better get to work so they could get them wrapped.   Isabelle was in tears when she noticed that she had a little hole in hers but felt better when I showed her I could easily fix it for her. 

Jacob is only 4 so he hasn't had a turn yet on the sewing machine but he was certainly interested in cousin Kayla's sewing.  I told him I'd show him how to do that when he was a little older but he said...

...no way! Sewing is for girls! 
(Just wait, Jacob!)

Isabelle was proud of her work. She hand picked each scrap she used just for her mom and dad. She thought the pillow might be a little small but I explained to her that it's just right to put behind a back or a neck. 

Kayla is mighty proud too. The other side of the pillow is all Kayla - full of pink and hearts. 

They wrapped their pillows (I couldn't convince them it is easier to use a gift bag)  and the ornaments they all painted for mom and dad.   We made some Christmas cookies, put some clingy decorations on the windows and finished with some other decorations. 



Now that they are gone I feel like I need a nap but it's way too early for bed so I'll just relax with some of my own slow stitching.  

I had tried to crochet a cloche to go with some scarves I crocheted for the granddaughters but it didn't seem to be turning out right and I can't try it on them if they are getting the scarf and hat for Christmas so I decided to crochet a headband for them instead. I figured that would be safe.   I finished one and am almost finished with the other. 

The ruffly scarves they match. 

The funny thing is that they put in orders for slouchy beanies- one in red and the other in green.  And Jacob wants a blue scarf. 



After I finish up the headband  I will be stitching down the binding on the remaining quilt I need to finish for Isabelle...

...and snack on a few of those very sugary sugar cookies the kids made. 

If you are doing any kind of slow stitching then get on over to Kathy's Quilts and join the Slow Stitching Sunday linky party. 

5 comments:

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

So many sweet things in this post! Makes me want some grandchildren actually. Lol I figure I've got 6-8 years to get ready.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Such lucky grandchildren to have a grandmother who is willing to take the time to teach and create withe them!

Ivani said...

It seems they had a great time with grandmother. They made beautiful pillows. Hugs

Dasha said...

No wonder you needed a nap! You have done a great job teaching the girls.

Quilter Kathy said...

Such fun memories! Love the gifts they made...they will always remember that time with you. Thanks for linking up!