Sunday, August 11, 2013

Crazy Cravings in August


I've finished my August CQJP 2013 block for my Crazy Cravings lap quilt. Details follow.




This is supposed to be braid stitch. I wanted it along the seam to kind of mimic the white icing on the cupcakes. I need a little practice at this as it is sure kind of wonky looking.  A Bella Online article with a picture of what this stitch is supposed to look like (last on page) says it takes lots of practice to get this right.

I embellished another seam with some lace, herringbone stitch and some bullions and french knots.
Another seam just had running stitch and lazy daisies and french knots. And in the chocolate swirls I used a strand of metallic and a strand of brown and chain stitched in the lighter parts of the chocolate. 

Here's another wonky seam. On one side my spacing of buttonhole stitches is farther apart than the other side. 


Another seam has some ribbon and lazy daisy stitches on it and finally I added a piece of painted lace and a cupcake button.

So far I have 8 blocks completed. Here's the August block along with 3 others. My design wall (cutting mat propped up against wall with left over piece of batting on it) isn't big enough for all 8.    I've got a long way to go yet. I think I want at least 20 blocks.

4 comments:

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Wonderful embroidery stitches!

Angie said...

What a lovely - and yummy! - looking project. I am blown away by your embroidery! I'm lucky to be able to outline stitch and do some French knots!

Dasha said...

I have never done a crazy quilt Cathy. Should try it one day as it combines several of the things I love - patching, embroidery & embellishments. BTW An awesome bunch of donations you have made!

Anonymous said...

Love it!