Thursday, February 2, 2012

More Challenges

Sue over on the CQForNewbies Yahoo Group is hosting a "Celebrate Life" challenge. I used one of my Midnight Fantasy blocks for my challenge and this is what it looks like so far after using the following challenge stitches: stem, outline, buttonhole, cast-on, wrapped chain and wrapped spider web.  This weeks stitches were of the wrapped variety...

...so I made a wrapped chain stem for some angelina fiber leaves (my first attempt and also a challenge to self) and then added some fantasy flowers made of wrapped spider web - at least that's what I think it was called. Again, that was my first attempt. I rounded out the corner with a few crocheted butterflies. I think there are two more stitches to go. Wonder what they will be!

This is my February block for the CQJP 2012 Journal Project.  In case you don't know or don't remember from previous posts...these blocks, too, will become a lap quilt. So, challenge to self is to make embellishments washable and to have one or two baskets per block with colors mostly red and white. I want to have each seam different and want to use a lot of the vintage embroidery patterns I have collected.  Blocks are 12 inches and I think there will be 20 or 25 of them. And, I'm calling it "Crazy Basket Case" that's why all the baskets! 

This is another challenge I am participating in over on the CQForNewbies Yahoo group. This one is an RR and this is Jenni's block. The challenge is to add only orange embellishments. I'm not crazy about orange or monotones hence the challenge.  I think I read somewhere (Sunday paper?) that this year's color of the year is Tango Tangerine so I guess we were ahead of our time with this RR! Orange reminds me of the 70s which were some great years so I'm not sure why I don't like it. 

Doris stitched on Jenni's block before me so this is what her total block looks like before it heads off to Toni at the end of the month. 

2 comments:

Arlene Delloro said...

Your work is fabulous!

Maddie Can Fly said...

Those wrapped spider webs are fantastic! A great job and I love the midnight fairy block