Friday, February 4, 2011

I Spy an Alliance

I finally got up the nerve to finish a little 16x16 quilt for entry into the Alliance for American Quilts contest. I don't have any illusions of winning anything but I can dream. This is the first contest involving quilting I have ever entered.

This is the entire 16x16 quilt. I fussy cut scraps into 1 and 1.5 inch pieces and almost went cross-eyed. My vision is not the best to begin with. I must admit it was a lot of fun looking for different items to include.

Here's a close up of part of the quilt and some of the little pics. I'm really not a designer of any sort so I had a hard time figuring out what to do to make it turn out the correct size including binding, but I did manage.

And here's another closeup of a different section of the quilt. With the entry I had to include an "artist's statement". Mine follows:

A, B, C,
One, Two, Three,
Red, Blue, Yellow,
I spy a bee.
Do you?

My grandkids and I belong to a "Snuggle, Cuddle, Play and Learn with Quilts Alliance". I have made ABC, I Spy, Tell a Story, Match, Paperdoll, Racetrack and holiday quilts for my grandkids and other children. I had fun digging through my scrap basket looking for teeny-tiny objects to assemble into this quilt.

Oh, did I forget to mention that the theme is alliances?

1 comment:

Cathy said...

Awesome quilt, Cathy! Good for you to enter this great cause! I love it and expect it will do well. In the meantime, rest those eyes! Hugs, Cathy